Being a modern-day independent (now-corporate) career-woman, who is cursed by an insatiable need to stay on the move, traveling and "too tired from work" had become my go-to excuse for not staying disciplined. Now, hold on, you say, because blah blah blah abs. Well, my friends, I am here to talk about how we can cheat our busy schedules, and figure out ways around it to squeeze in a little fitness.
Here's a list of my favorites tricks:
- When in a foreign country or such, walk as much as you can. It kills two bastards with one swat, you will get to see the city and work those glutes. Cardio, voila! Hence, when I was in Amsterdam, not only did I manage to stay fit, but I also got to see the red-light district, haha!
- Use whatever is provided. If you have a little patio in your hotel room, in my case (above) a waist-high wall at Boracay Beach Resort - challenge yourself to 3 rounds of elevated suicide-planks. (If you're really lazy, just plank for as long as you can)
- Don't be afraid to try new things. I understand, you might not be much of a biker-babe, but you'd be surprised how warm a little bike-ride in the winter can make you feel.. and it's a fun way to get from point A to B.
- Combine activities. Last year, I lost a crazy amount of weight just by loading my iPad with the series I was currently addicted to, and watching it while on the treadmill. It's truly the only way I can stay on one for 45 minutes without deciding I am bored and "rewarding" myself early with some gelato.
- Do your housework. "Wait, what??" you say but seriously, you do not need a maid unless your apartment is starting to resemble Hiroshima. Crank up some Miley Cyrus or Rihanna, put on some gloves and get to work. You are an adult, you do not need a yaya. Also, this will burn calories, especially if you do some dancing in between.
- Trick your body. Morning workouts are the most effective. The best time of the day to get your butt to the gym is in the morning, as soon as you wake up. You will burn calories more effectively, it will energize you for the rest of the day, and you will wake up in the process.
My wildcard tip is to buy workout gear that makes you stand out. Now enroll in a busy gym with attractive people, and you will be running those treadmills early in the morning while watching your TV shows in no time. No better motivation to get into shape than when you're in a room with a boy you crush, trying to get him to notice you, haha!