I'm surprised I never tried Pilates prior to trying out the classes at One Life Studio. I was a gymnast half my life and it only seemed natural to be drawn to it because of all the stretching and the core strength you need for the work out. Unsurprisingly, I loved it immediately and I have been going regularly for a few weeks now.
A little background on Pilates for those who aren't too familiar.
- Anyone can do Pilates because the exercises are adjustable, so you will find athletes doing Pilates, as well as those with injuries and even older people.
- It focuses on core strength and flexibility and aims for the well-balanced development of the body.
- At One Life Studio, they offer both mat Pilates, which is done on the floor, or Reformer Pilates using the Reformer, which is that machine I'm on above.
- The six principles of Pilates are: Centering, Control, Flow, Breath, Precision and Concentration.
- Instead of repetitive movements, Pilates focuses on form and precision, giving great results in a less amount of time.
- Some of the benefits you will get from Pilates are improved posture, flexibilty and breathing plus reduced body fat
If you are into the long, lean but strong physique, then this is a good addition to your work out routine. Remember that you still need to do cardio to maintain weight and build endurance, but the core strength you will develop from this is key. I love feeling the stretch in my body whenever I do Pilates and I'm really not into bulking up, so this is perfect.
To try out a class, visit www.onelifestudio.com Studios located in Makati and Greenhills