Even if I am known for my love of cooking and anything food related, there are also days when I don't want to cook, I don't want to eat out, but I also want a good meal, and no, fast food delivery is never an option unless I am drunk at 3 in the morning. On days like these, I end up making this warm mushroom salad, because it's quick and easy and it hits the spot. Plus, it's Monday after all, and I did write about "Meatless Mondays" last week. This meal gets your greens in, but it's also very filling, so it's perfect for those days you are super hungry but super lazy.
1 cup mushrooms, sliced (I like button but the fresh ones are expensive here so a mix of shitake and oyster will do)
2 cups mixed greens
Handful of arugula (skip this if you are not a fan)
1 small onion, chopped
Green onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
Few dashes of liquid aminos (replacement for regular liquid seasoning)
a sprinkle of sugar
salt and pepper to taste
Shaved Pecorino or Parmesan Cheese
- Saute onions, green onions (white part, save the green for garnish) and garlic
- add mushrooms and cook until done
- Add Balsamic Vinegar, Liquid Seasoning and sugar and cook down until reduced
- Add salt and pepper to taste (Actually you can skip salt because the cheese is already salty, as is the liquid aminos)
- Put mixed greens into a bowl and pour mushrooms over it.
- Garnish with arugula and green onion.