One of my favorite things to eat is also one of the easiest things to make. It has very few ingredients and is basically a no brainer. The only thing you need is a bit of extra time on your hands because you will need about an hour and half to two hours to complete this recipe.
If that is a bit of a turn off, just imagine this sweet treat on top of ice cream, as frosting on cake, as a dipping sauce for fruits, or even licked off directly from a spoon. Yep, it's worth it! And this version is a dark brown color with a more caramel flavor because I used all dark brown sugar instead of regular granulated sugar. Here's how:
6 cups of whole milk
2 cups of brown sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 tsp. rock salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
- Combine Sugar, salt and milk and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add baking soda (It will froth up!)
- Put back on low heat and simmer for an hour and a half, mixing every so often.
- When milk begins to thicken, add vanilla and stir more often.
- For a more sauce-like Dulce de leche, remove from heat when mixture coats the back of a spoon. For a thicker version, keep on heat and whisk until you get to desired consistency.
Grab a spoon and enjoy!