I LOVE Red Velvet Cupcakes, and I used to make another version that was a slight twist on the usual- I paired the cake with a white chocolate cream cheese frosting instead of just the regular cream cheese and powdered sugar. I actually came up with this because I could not find powdered sugar anywhere, so I had to make do with the ingredients I had at home. The lime zest was a last minute addition and I was lucky it worked!
For the cake-
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix all wet ingredients in your mixer/ Kitchen Aid.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until batter is smooth and lump-free.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way and bake for 15 minutes at 350 C
For the frosting-
- 1 8 oz bar cream cheese
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- zest of 2 limes
- Beat everything together, but keep about 1 teaspoon of lime zest.
- When cupcakes are cooled, frost each, either with a piping bag or a spoon.
- Top with some lime zest.