This is my Asian version of Jamie Oliver's Chicken in Milk. As much as I love the original, I sometimes want something that gives me the same sense of comfort but with flavors closer to my heart. Does that make sense? lol!
Anyway, it's pretty much the same process, just with different ingredients. It's so easy to make and so flavorful. It always makes me eat more rice than usual! Also, I recommend 1.5 cans of coconut milk, but for more sauce, add the last 1/2 can- I think you will want to!
1 whole chicken
2 tablespoons tamarind puree
Optional: 1 tablespoon sinigang mix
Fish sauce and pepper, to taste
two thumb sized pieces of ginger, peeled and chopped into three equal parts
2 whole heads of garlic, peeled
1 stalk lemongrass, bulb part chopped roughly
zest of 1 lime
1.5 cans coconut milk ( 2 if you want more sauce)
1 kaffir lime leaf
1 tablespoon oil
2 tsps coconut syrup or brown sugar
Handful of coriander
- Rub tamarind, sinigang mix, patis and pepper on your chicken and leave on for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven and fry chicken breast side down for 5 minutes or until skin browns. Flip over and repeat.
- Turn off heat, and remove oil.
- Add more fish sauce, pepper, lime zest, garlic, ginger, lemongrass (including leaves) Kaffir lime leaf and coconut milk and coconut syrup or brown sugar
- Bake in oven, covered at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove cover and cook for another 10 minutes until skin browns.
I like serving this with lemongrass rice! Don't forget to add coriander and a little more lime zest when you serve it! Drown your rice in the sauce too!